Some people become a little anxious before their first Juvederm appointment and are unsure what to expect. However, there is little to be concerned about! These procedures are extremely safe, and most patients nationwide report that they are highly satisfied with the results. Those who are not satisfied are usually unaware of the true purpose of fillers. After all, there is no way (yet) to permanently get rid of wrinkles. However, fillers, such as Juvederm, are a wonderful way to see lasting improvement and help you feel more confident in your own skin. If you do not see as dramatic results as you were hoping for, don’t worry! You can always come in for another filler treatment once the area has fully healed. We would be happy to provide any and all services you may need to feel confident in your results.
So, what do you need to do in order to care for your skin after your Juvederm appointment? Here are some of our favorite ways to keep our skin smooth and relaxed.
In general, fillers will all require similar aftercare. Follow these steps to see the best results.
- If you see bruising and swelling, ice the area as much as you can for the first several days. Apply ice for 20 minutes, then remove the ice for another 20 minutes. Repeat this about five times a day at least, but feel free to do more for additional help.
- Some people experience a headache or pain at the site of the injection. If this is the case for you, feel free to take some acetaminophen or ibuprofen. This can ease the pain and reduce any potential swelling in the area.
- If your skin reacts negatively at the injection site, this is completely normal. Some people get redness, small bumps, and experience itching. Take Benadryl to relieve any allergy symptoms.
- Some people feel lumps or bumps while the area is still healing. If this is the case for you, massage the area with constant pressure for about two minutes. Doing this four-to-five times a day can help the area smooth over faster and more evenly. However, be careful about this. Most doctors will place everything where it should be before you leave the medical spa, so they will instruct you on what to do if you should feel a lump.
- One of the most important things to do after your Juvederm treatment is to have realistic expectations about the results. Sometimes additional treatment is needed to see the full results, and we find that most people are pleased after about two treatments. Keep in mind, however, that fillers will not “get rid” of your wrinkles. You will see improvement, but you will not see full wrinkle removal. Feel free to ask us about possible results when you contact us for a consultation!
What to Know
Fillers are slowly absorbed by the body, so they do not always last as long as you would like. In fact, fillers last for different amounts of time depending on the individual. You can expect yours to last in between 9 months and a year. This has nothing to do with your doctor; instead, it has everything to do with how quickly your body absorbs the filler. The good news is, you can easily have more filler injected whenever you would like.
Right after you have your Juvederm appointment, you may notice that it takes a little time for it to “set.” Juvederm sets within about 48 hours. At that point, it will not move. While you are waiting for this to heal and set, you will be able to wash your face and apply makeup as you would normally.
Aftercare for Lips
Juvederm aftercare for lips is about the same as it is on the cheeks and mouth area. We recommend applying ice continuously for about 45 minutes after the injection. After this time is up, you can ice them on and off for next hour or so. At night, consider elevating your head up on a higher pillow than normal to prevent any additional swelling or discomfort.
After the first few days, if there is irregularity or bumpiness, this can be massaged out. However, again, this is uncommon, as we will massage the area after injection to smooth it. Most patients only experience minor swelling in the lips, which should fade after about one-to-two days.
New Beginnings Medical
If you are looking to enhance your beauty and feel young again, it’s time to give our team a call. We look forward to providing you with the finest in Juvederm services! After the sun, the wind, and the stresses of our daily lives have taken their tolls on our skin, it’s nice to know that there is a way to reclaim that healthy look we had years ago. We look forward to seeing you in our Florida clinic soon!